Wednesday 13 August 2014

Ferris Wheels


My ferris wheels quilt is coming along nicely. I first started this project at Quilt Camp with Chris Jurd about 2 years ago. I decided to make my version larger than the camp project and it has ended up having nine ferris wheels rather than five. I have used lots of my blue scraps but still the pile doesn't seem to go down.....

I have incorporated some lovely embroidered motifs from a set of place mats and serviettes that I found at a garage sale some years ago. They are exquisitely hand embroidered even down to the delicate stitching around the edges. I will have to find another project to use these edges as I cant bear to think of someone, probably poorly rewarded, stitching all those edges only for them to be tossed away.




I am still to decide whether to turn this into a tablecloth or a quilt and how I will do the edges due to the points and curves. Decisions, decisions......

My latest is learning how to make a stained glass window which is very different to patchwork. Using a glass cutter with a set square is similar to using a rotary cutter with a ruler but that's about where the similarity ends, however choosing the glass to use is almost as difficult as choosing fabric. I am going to keep this project under wraps until its finished, which is some way off yet!

We have a beautiful stained glass window in our house. Inspiration for the future perhaps!


1 comment:

  1. Great work Bronwyn. Can't wait to see the stained glass.

    ReplyDelete