Friday 9 May 2014

Progress

The beautiful setting of the quilt camp venue, the Edmund Rice Centre at Mulgoa
The past month or so I have been preoccupied with our renovations at Mt Victoria and have spent very little time sewing. However, quilt camp came around last weekend and I managed to finish a quilt that had been lurking in my sewing cupboard and make some progress on another. It was great fun, as usual, with about 40 ladies enjoying each other's company, eating yummy food prepared by someone else, and indulging in a full weekend of sewing.


The resident donkey was in his usual place beside the driveway to greet us as always!

Mandy and I went walking each morning before breakfast and on Sunday we saw lots of very large kangaroos in the paddocks beside the driveway. These two were right up the top near the road.

I started this quilt about a year ago. The inner squares have appliqued circles on them. I sewed them while travelling to work on the train. I had almost all the fabrics in my stash. It looks quite different to the pattern in the book due to the contrast of the orange border.


The quilt pattern, called 'Sand Dollars' is from a book called Bloom Creek Quilts by Vicki Bellino.

I also managed to make three more ferris wheels. I have made seven now and only have two to go.  All will be revealed later on! The Ferris Wheel pattern was a project and pattern of Chris Jurd's at a previous teaching quilt camp.






I have also been inspired to get moving with my large hexagon quilt which I also started ages ago. Another quilt camper was inspired to make the same quilt last year after seeing mine individual hexagon flowers. Hers is all finished quilted and bound and already delivered as a gift for her daughter's 21st birthday!

So I finally laid mine out on its backing, pinned it down and started hand sewing the flowers down. Its a good project for doing in front of the telly!


Last Monday I took our grandson down to Coogee Beach to meet up with our son, Rhys. We went on the train then a bus to Coogee which was really easy. Oli had a great time in the water, despite us being totally unprepared for getting wet, building sandcastles, looking at the constant stream of aircraft flying coming in to land at Mascot, checking out the bendy buses, etc etc. Rhys even took him for a little ride on his skateboard which he loved!



I didn't realise how easy it is to get to the eastern suburbs beaches by public transport. Coogee Beach is very pretty and clean with lots of shops and cafes just opposite. 



The weather was perfect too! We had a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Your hexies look great on the black and white!
    And coogee is a great beach. I bet Oli loved it.
    We did have a good time at camp didn't we.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see your progress on your quilts! The hexagons look wonderful on the black and white background. Your day in Coogee sounds perfect! It's such a beautiful beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both quilts look great. The hexagon looks great now on the background. Glad to hear that you had a great day at Coogee nice beach . The bus services to the beaches are quite good no hope of finding a car parking space if you drive and if you do the parking fees are over the top.

    ReplyDelete